April 3, 2007

Mood & Movement

We headed up to North Georgia for a hike on the Appalachian Trail the other day with 3-year old twins in tow Ronnie & Cade. For some reason, Ronnie was in a bad mood, or as she described was "grumpy." Once we started hiking, her mood dramatically improved. I was reminded of a quote that has been flying around wellness coaching and positive psych circles lately by David Tal Ben-Shahar, Harvard University Psychology Professor, that states, " “Not exercising is a depressant.” To be honest, there are a lot of times I don't feel like exercising. I force myself, or as Jack LaLanne prefers to put it, "I kick myself in the butt and make it happen!" The hard part is deciding to do it then starting. Once you roll 5 minutes, it's all good. I've got to tell you that after a decade of being a health pro, I think I've heard almost every excuse to NOT exercise. There is always a reason not to exercise. Something will always come up. However, unless you have a major incident or disease issue, most of the excuses are bull crap and not good enough. Even Jack LaLanne says he hates exercise! He does it because he likes the results. So...I have yet to miss a single day of exercise all year. I kick myself in the butt, improve my mood, and do something for at least 30 minutes a day. You should join me--you might like it! Beats being grumpy...if y'all ain't movin' then y'all ain't groovin'...From the ATL today...Ragin' RJ!

No comments: